Lisbon: A City Winner

Lisbon: A City Winner

There must be something about Portugal that keeps me going back. No. 1 is Lisbon.  I can go as far as saying it’s my favourite city in Europe. Earlier this year, I also visited Porto which turned out to be another great experience.

As for Lisbon, it’s a city that has my heart. There aren’t many cities I’ve visited where I’ve thought to myself, “I’d like to come back here again, as soon as possible”.  That’s because discovering new places and working through the ever growing bucketlist would remain un-ticked. So, what makes Lisbon a city winner?

Lisbon & Street Art

The city itself is a hilly playground, famous for it’s terracotta rooftops and street art and that’s exactly what I love about it. It’s easy to spend to much time walking around, getting lost in Lisbon’s history, then perching up on a crumbling wall and watching life go by. Walking up and down narrow streets, its easy to come across newly painted art vs. the more in your face street masterpiece.

Lisbon,alfama town. &otherplaces

Lisbon-street-art-&otherplaces-img_1207

Alfama Old Town

I’m slightly biased, as when visiting here last year – we actually stayed in the superb Mammo Alfama. A minimal design hotel, situated in the heart of the town. How lucky we were to have all this beauty on our door step. More authenticity than the other areas of Lisbon, with the locals heavily influencing the way of life here. Although we woke up to a range of continental breakfast treats each morning, the local bakeries were just minutes away.  For that we made sure to take advantage, eating our way through an average of 3 pastel de nata each day (Portuguese custard tarts).

Sorry not sorry.

Memmo-Alfama-design hotel-terrace

Source: Booking.com

Visit Praça do Comércio

Better known to tourists as Palace Square. Tourists flock but if you want a space filled with shops, restaurants and great architecture and a view of the sea front then this place is a safe bet.

Tip: Although Lisbon is fairly cheap, prices in the square are a fraction higher than other areas of the city so go elsewhere for a more authentic and affordable meal.

img_1185-lisbon-palacesquare img_1202-lisbon-square

Hike up Castelo de Sao Jorge

One of the main, if not the most popular tourist attraction in Lisbon. But with 360 views of the city, it’s not one to miss off the list. We headed over on a slightly overcast day which definitely made the hike up easier but we were rewarded with views like below. Break out your camera, as you’ll definitely want to snap these views.

img_1162-lisbon-castle-sao-jorge

Street Party in Bairro Alto

Although it wasn’t planned, we ended up visiting Lisbon during the famous Sardine Festival. Where the city came alive for two days of feasting on sardines. Every street corner imaginable gets packed with outdoor grills and bbq’s in preparation for some serious grilling. People get boozy, very friendly and the music get’s louder as the night goes on. Definitely one to get involved in for the great atmosphere and stark difference to every-day slower paced life in the city.

img_1201-lisbon-barrio-alto

img_1198-lisbon-alfama-festival

What are your thoughts on Lisbon, or other favourite city?

19 Comments

1. 14th September 2016 / 7:14 PM

This is awesome! I’m thinking about heading to Lisbon for our anniversary next year…but it’s a secret (until Feb.) so don’t tell! 🙂 I want those views, the tarts, and everything that comes with this city. Did you partake in the sardine festival? I think I would try it but not sure if I’d like it.

• 15th September 2016 / 2:42 PM

I’m not a huge fan of sardines as I don’t like fiddling around with bones but my friend loved it and I tried and had other street food on offer! The two day festival itself was so much more though with music, dancing, and just good vibes so definitely worth taking a look around. 🙂

2. 14th September 2016 / 7:41 PM

I have never heard of Lisbon before, but it sure sounds amazing! I love that little town with the red colored roofs, it reminds me of a scene in movies. Beautiful! Would love to visit here someday 🙂

• 15th September 2016 / 12:54 PM

Yes the roofs are a staple of Lisbon! You should, it’s such good value for money too!

3. 14th September 2016 / 8:37 PM

It looks beautiful, not hard to see why you love it! and the Sardine festival sounds interesting, i love stumbling across things like that!

• 15th September 2016 / 12:53 PM

Yes it was super fun! The music and general atmosphere of people coming together to have a good time completely changed the streets from a normal night on in the city!

4. 14th September 2016 / 9:17 PM

We are actually considering a trip to Lisbon next summer. It looks so beautiful and picturesque. Who knows, maybe it will become the city I could return to over and over, as well. 🙂

• 15th September 2016 / 12:48 PM

It’s definitely a place you can fall in love with if you like crimbly yet picturesque buildings, custard tarts and just a general friendly atmosphere!

• 15th September 2016 / 12:52 PM

It is a beautiful place. I hope you have a great time!

5. 14th September 2016 / 9:43 PM

I love the pictures you snapped! Portugal is already on my wishlist for 2017 but now I have some great tips and extra tricks for Lisbon! can’t wait.

• 15th September 2016 / 12:52 PM

Thankyou, as the weather wasn’t as great this time around – it felt very moody so it captured well on camera!

6. 14th September 2016 / 10:38 PM

yay! This is the best travel inspiration. I’ve been looking for somewhere to spend a long weekend that is sunny, and colourful and interesting – I think Lisbon is it! And, you’ve listed some great tips here on what to do. Thanks!

• 15th September 2016 / 12:51 PM

There’s so much more to do as well if you have a little longer, venture out to Sintra too! Magical little place.

7. 14th September 2016 / 11:14 PM

I’m taking my Lisbon trip next year and this piece has gotten me so excited about it!! It looks gorgeous!

• 15th September 2016 / 12:50 PM

I hope you have a great time!

8. 15th September 2016 / 7:32 AM

Lisbon is one of those places that are still on my list for later. But the more I read about it, the more I realise that I should visit sooner rather than later.
    You say it’s your favourite city in Europe – really? I mean, have you been to Rome? Paris? Prague? Bruges? London? Venice?… 🙂 If it’s that good, then I’m definitely going.

• 15th September 2016 / 12:49 PM

I’ve been to all those except I’d exclude Venice as I went when I was really young. It’s just a place I feel so comfortable, it doesn’t try too hard and there’s always something new to discover. Whether it’s a new cafe, bar, a fun festival close by!

9. 15th September 2016 / 2:54 PM

Wow! Lisbon looks amazing. I’ve always wanted to go and your photography made it look amazing

10. 17th September 2016 / 3:31 AM

I would LOVE to go to Lisbon (and Portugal in general) one day. I’ve heard amazing things about the city, and it seems to be showing up as a favorite more and more often recently. It doesn’t seem hard to imagine why! For me, it’s also that I’m Brazilian and would love to get more of a look at the history of the Portuguese (and be around different Portuguese speakers). It looks like you had an amazing time!

Always love feedback, leave your comment below!